- Speak directly to your audience. (“you” and not “members”)
- Use the active voice. (“Sue built the business” not “The business was built by Sue”)
- Keep most sentences short and punchy. Vary sentence structure and sprinkle in questions.
- Avoid excessive or needless descriptors. For example, reconsider using “once-in-a-lifetime.”
- Remember that most of today’s readers are scanners. Be concise and specific.
- Avoid jargon and spell out acronyms.
- Keep in mind that you are writing for an international audience. Content is often translated. Avoid using sayings that are specific to a certain country or language.
- Review content for reading level.
- As you review your copy, target “-ing” words, which often add complexity and passivity to sentences. “After you apply, you’ll attend a launch meeting.” not “After applying to the program, members attend a launch meeting.”
NO: “EO members are invited to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity led by Kermit the Frog that will make you revisit your SOP, ensuring your next quarter is the best you’ve ever seen. Register for this life-changing event taking place on June 3rd.”
YES: On 3 June, Kermit the Frog will share how he increased his revenue by updating his quality improvement procedures. Join us for this virtual event. Register here.
NO: Situational mentoring is a short-term connection between two parties that focuses on a high-impact challenge or opportunity. After applying to be a mentor or mentee, pairs are created with the structure of EO’s mentorship programme, for 4-6 weekly sessions that will address specific needs during this unprecedented time.
YES: EO has launched a situational mentorship programme to support all members, GSEA competitors and Accelerator participants. We connect two people to tackle a high-impact challenge or opportunity together over 4-6 weeks. You can apply to participate as a mentor or mentee. There will be a training session to kick off your new partnership once we have found a suitable match.
NO: Get the 411 on how Accelerator can level-up your startup in this one-hour deep dive into EO’s most popular programme among startups.
YES: Are you a startup founder? This virtual introduction to the EO Accelerator programme is for you! Learn how we can help your business to grow. As a participant, you’ll experience accountability and mentorship from accomplished business owners.