Illustrations are vital components of the brand’s visual language, used to convey ideas and concepts that words cannot convey alone. They set the tone of a communications piece, and as with photography, they should nevertheless feel cheerful, diverse, playful and uplifting.
Our illustration style builds off the aesthetic of our logo and features simple shapes, clean lines and controlled use of colour. Illustrations, diagrams and charts should have a branded feel that is easily digested and understood at a glance.
When developing an illustration, ask: “What do is the main idea I want to communicate, and does this illustration accomplish that in a direct manner?” Design illustrations so that they are easily understandable to the viewer.
- Illustrations should feature bold, minimalistic shapes
- If using lines, use monolinear strokes that complement the line weights of the logo
- Activate white space and negative space strategically to allow interplay between background and foreground
- Depict people realistically, with realistic proportions, expressions and interactions
- As a best practice, create illustrations in vector format to maintain the integrity of the image and guarantee best reproduction results.
The examples below demonstrate EO’s illustration style.